Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Werbung

Boote kaufen

Windstärken

Windstärkentabelle

Hallo Besucher, willkommen im Segeln-Forum! Hier kannst Du Dich registrieren, um unser Forum in seiner vollen Pracht genießen zu können! - Weitere Infos zur Registrierung - Login für Mitglieder -

Montag, 3. Februar 2020, 17:40

Greenland 2020

We've started preparation our travel in East Greenland

July 27th - August 22nd, 2020

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1b1TBRm…XZk7Bec-YcMNl6t

Two Ducky-19
Till 8 people, now we have 6.
Two places reserved for members of our previous travels for last-time joints.

I'll trying to inform our community about preparations.
Members, equipment, etc.

I hope it will help if somebody in future going to sail in that area.
Do not hesitate ask questions.
As usual? you can ask on German, but I'll answer on English.

Here are links to our travels in 2011and 2016

Comparing to previous we are going to sailing in north direction.
Friends of me from where in Greenland last summer, and their pictures shows big ice degradation.
Our target is visiting place where icebergs slip direct in an ocean.

Best regards,
Eduard
:)

Dienstag, 4. Februar 2020, 13:47

Some frequently asking questions (FAQ):
  • How resistance PVC hulls against ice? Based of four travels in this area about 240 boat/days was only one accident. See - https://youtu.be/edRzlEEsDy0 on 3:43. Construction Ducky-17 and Ducky-19 gives possibility to reduce pressure till 0.08 bar when boats moving between ice. It reduce a probability to get a hole.
  • Probably it very cold? It similar as in Alps in March. When sun you can be in t-short, in evening wear everything :). Exclusion is a situation when wind came direct from glaciers. It's sharp as knife. I've designed a hat for this situation. Now it's in serial production by Ordana Here is me in the prototype and friend of me in the serial one
  • ... will continue

Mittwoch, 5. Februar 2020, 07:50

FAQ continuing:

• Are you afraid polar bears? Yes we afraid. We afraid all bears, not only polar. In our travel Canada 2008 black bear family visit us on one of our camps.
    We also saw grisly bear family in our travel in Canada 2014
    In Canada we used electric fences at nights. We also had Bear spray
    In Greenland 2011 and 2016 we were in areas without pack ice. Polar bears quite rare observed in these areas. This year we are going to travel more on north direction. Based of this report a probability to cross with bears grows. In summer 2019 a polar bear was observed about 200 km north of northernmost point of planed route. This year in our team will be, additionally to passive defenses, one hunter with weapon
»emayd« hat folgende Datei angehängt:
  • fences.JPG (64,27 kB - 21 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 27. April 2020, 09:46)

Sonntag, 9. Februar 2020, 11:32

FAQ continuing:

• Wind: Mostly it's no wind at all, or moderated wind. In 2016 we've observed jet-effect wind here with wind from south-east. We used engines and moved against wind couple meters from a shore.
    In 2011 wasn't any days with wind more than 3 Beaufort.
    In 2016 we've got a Piteraq here. One of our tents doesn't survived. My tent survived, but it had 16mm reinforced poles. I made it for Cape Horn sailing in 2013. Another one was protected with stones wall.
    But it wasn't full power Piteraq,it was something between 20-25 m/sec, and we were in protected place. Nothing compared with Cape Horn :)
    I think in the planned routea probability to catch Piteraq is quite low. We've separated from ice cap with couple of local mountain chains. But it can be some hard NE wind.
    This year I'm going to use an inflatable tent.

If somebody has questions - ask please.
»emayd« hat folgende Datei angehängt:
  • ne_wind.JPG (43,49 kB - 7 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 27. April 2020, 09:44)

Dienstag, 11. Februar 2020, 13:32

FAQ continuing:

• Aren't you afraid to sail around icebergs? No, we are not afraid, but it is more correct to say that we have respect for them and try not to take risks. Icebergs are very different in shape. The melting is mainly on the level of the sea surface, and on surfaces covered with stones. When the top part melts it becomes lighter and POPs up. Next, several scenarios are possible: either the destruction of the upper part, or the capsizing of the iceberg. Icebergs are constantly being destroyed, at night the sounds of destruction sometimes resemble a cannonade. This is especially heard in the fjords ending in a powerful glacier. If we pass near the edge of the glacier, we try not to get closer than three or four heights of ice.
  • And if you are blocked by ice floes, what will you do? First of all, we will try to avoid this. This danger does not exist everywhere. The most dangerous places near the edge of the glacier during low tide and when the wind from the mouth of the Fiord. Glacier valleys usually have the shape of an inverted trapezoid (trog). At low tide, the width of the water surface is reduced, and the gaps between the ice floes become smaller, or completely disappear. In the campaign of 2011, not recognizing this pattern at first, we were almost caught by the ice of the Karale glacier. At the same time, only about 30-40 minutes passed from the moment of normal sailing to the moment of closing the ice floes. Of course, the year does not look like a year. In 2011, an ice field was brought from the North. Its width was about 30 km, length about 600 km. It slowly moved along the coast, from time to time completely blocking the exits of the fjords to the ocean, as well as when the wind on the shore clogging the inner parts of the fjords with ice. We often had to go back and sail 50-70 km along the inner fjords to get out fifteen kilometers further along the coast. In 2016, from the ocean side, everything was clear of ice.

Freitag, 14. Februar 2020, 14:14

A bit about moving through the ice. Of course, our catamarans are not icebreakers. It will be about moving through sections of the sea with sufficient gaps between the ice floes.

First, you can’t move too slowly if there is not enough open water. It is like moving in a stream of cars. The speed should be substantially greater than the speed of the ice floes over the course. At the same time, you can’t move very fast so that there is time for reaction to prevent a collision with ice. In Canada 2008, there were several cases of loss of control of the catamaran in the passing current when walking under the engine at low speed, the motor was fixed in the diametrical plane, and steering was carried out by the rudders. And the rudders at low speed relative to water were not effective. For walking between ice floes, this option of installing a motor was unacceptable. A variant of steering with only an engine was uncomfortable due to insufficient arm length :).

I had to solve the problem of synchronizing rudders and motor. At the same time, I wanted the rudders not to lose their effectiveness after the catamaran entered the circulation. This was achieved as follows.
The introduction of an elastic element into the circuit allowed the motor not to respond to small deviations of the rudders and to have a rudder deviation angle greater than that of the motor. This scheme was successful, and allowed to turn around even in a small space free from ice if the passage ended in a dead end.

The next moment: often the space of water was covered with fine broken ice, and a collision could not be avoided.
Therefore, we moved with a constantly lowered centerboard, which took over the impacts protecting the motor propeller.

Sonntag, 16. Februar 2020, 22:48

Here are useful links about ice situation, actual and archives:

Dienstag, 18. Februar 2020, 20:11

Overnight stay. There are two options. Setting up a tent on the beach or on a catamaran. In this case, the catamaran can be anchored, or be pulled ashore. There is also an option when an anchored catamaran at low tide is on the shore.
The first option with an overnight stay on the shore is more frequent. The option of spending the night on a catamaran arises in the following cases: either when there is no convenient place for tents on the shore, or there is a place, but at low tide the water leaves, and the next day it takes a long time to wait for the tide. Therefore, it is often more convenient to transfer catamarans to a place with sufficient depth so that you can start independently of the tidal phase.
When anchoring, in addition to the usual caution, two dangers must be taken into account: the first is the possibility of an iceberg hitting during tidal currents, and the second is the possibility of blocking the camp site with ice brought by the wind. We did not meet the first case, because we tried to anchor in shallow water, and icebergs got stuck before reaching us. And we fell into the trap of the second type once.
In 2011, we became a night in this wonderful, as we believed, bay.
In the evening there was a slight southeast wind and the water area in the bay area was completely free of ice. But iIn the morning, when I got up to check the camera taking time-laps, I was horrified for myself that the entrance to the bay was almost completely blocked by small “icebergs”, the wind changed direction at night, and if nothing is done now, we risk here get stuck for a long time. And we had only one day left to the finish point of the route.
I had to urgently wake up the sailor and engage in ice work. And my wife at this time filmed this process on camera.
First we brought my catamaran out, and then cleared the way for the second.
Now? when we selected place to state overnight, we keep in mind this case.

Donnerstag, 9. April 2020, 19:06

Related with current state our travel to Greenland this summer has less and less probability.
I'm also not sure that we will refund money for plain tickets. We will see. For west part of our team it doesn't critical money. But for some members of our east part, it's quite big.
For example - Marina, she was in my team in Canada, Greenland, Cape Horn. She is retired, and she spend biggest part of collected money for these tickets.
She now try to earn money by sell hand made dolls.
I'll attach some pictures of them. If somebody need an unusual birthday present - you can order from her. It will give a possibility to her to collect money for next travel.

You can also take a look on her page
»emayd« hat folgende Dateien angehängt:
  • KG2BVd3zvX0.jpg (298,69 kB - 3 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 27. April 2020, 09:44)
  • 4d2flBlKMt8.jpg (234,01 kB - 3 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 27. April 2020, 09:45)
  • c2e_pQ99H34.jpg (279,35 kB - 4 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 27. April 2020, 09:45)
  • dwbKpj16_jc.jpg (281,19 kB - 5 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 27. April 2020, 09:45)
  • QlpOFKX1-aY.jpg (423,86 kB - 4 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 27. April 2020, 09:45)

Mittwoch, 15. April 2020, 10:39

More pictures related with previous post
»emayd« hat folgende Dateien angehängt:
  • NclFiTtixEI.jpg (304,05 kB - 3 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 27. April 2020, 09:45)
  • QVdhTGmYXFE.jpg (333,41 kB - 4 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 1. Juni 2020, 14:59)
  • rvivnfifiAM.jpg (84,43 kB - 3 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 27. April 2020, 09:46)
  • vEUdHKYN34o.jpg (148,68 kB - 3 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 27. April 2020, 09:46)
  • VXigyj9podk.jpg (243,51 kB - 3 mal heruntergeladen - zuletzt: 27. April 2020, 09:46)

Montag, 27. April 2020, 09:33

:(

Zitat

Earlier this month a former head of Greenland’s health services, Ove Rosing Olsen, told me why fighting coronavirus takes special efforts in Greenland:
“Our capacity to deal with respiratory insufficiency is limited. If the system is overrun by too many patients with severe symptoms, many who could have been saved with the right treatment, will die. Instead of allowing the virus to spread, it is all about keeping it at bay until a vaccine is available. I believe we will have to have very little contact with others for a longer time, perhaps for another twelve months ,” he said.
https://www.arctictoday.com/a-tough-stra…onavirus-so-far

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »emayd« (27. April 2020, 10:20)